Hobart Manufacturing Company was founded on July 20th 1897 as
the Hobart Electric Manufacturing Company. Hobart motors were
sold to merchants, who, with the help of Hobart representatives,
belted them to the large flywheels of hand-operated coffee
mills, producing the world's first self-contained powered coffee
company reorganized as The Hobart Manufacturing Company, during
which year sales surpassed the $1 million mark.
During WWI HMC also manufactured
armaments through the Troy Metal Products subsidiary based in
Hobart acquired Paul Navarre et Fils, Europe's leading
commercial warewashing manufacturer.
1934. The company acquired
the Dayton Scale Division of International Business Machines
build a new plant in New Southgate, London, England.
1948. Hobart acquire Federal
Engineering, adding its "Steakmaster" tenderizer line, together
with the Frandor Engineering Company in Barnstaple, England. A
new Canadian plant is built in Toronto.
1964. Hobart is first listed
on the New York Stock Exchange.
1969. The Troy world
headquarters building is dedicated. Hobart now has 20 major
commercial product lines, 32 manufacturing operations and
customers in more than 100 countries. Hobart acquires Koch
Refrigeration of Kansas City, Mo. together with steam cooker
manufacturer, Vischer Products of Chicago, Ill.
1970. The company acquires
microwave oven producer Thermo-Kinetics of New Liberia, La.
1972. Hobart acquires Wascon
Systems of Hatboro, Pa., a waste equipment manufacturer.
1974 Hobart Manufacturing
Company becomes the Hobart Corporation.