thumbnail to enlarge
Stock Code GRL01
Certificate dated 30th October
1951 for 180 units of capital stock
in this Sheffield-based manufacturer of refractory ceramic goods
(e.g. furnace lining bricks and pipework). Ornate red border on yellow
background with red imprint of company seal. Issued to Violet Evelyn
Margaret Shirlaw of Bank Top, Appley Bridge, near Wigan, Lancashire.
Actual handwritten signatures of P Gregory, director and D Morris,
company was registered in 1900 as Worksop Brick Company, Ltd and changed
it's name to General Refractories in 1929. It owned factories at
Sheffield, Worksop, Bawtry, Middlesbrough and Kings Lynn together with
the Mayers Lane mine, Bradfield and the Wharncliffe Chase Mine, Deepcar.
In 1936 the Glenboig Union Fireclay Company was purchased. In 1963 GRL
merged with British Industrial Sand under the holding company General
Refractories Group Ltd which in turn merged with Hepworth Iron Company
Ltd of Sheffield in 1970 to form Hepworth Ceramic Holdings Plc,
subsequently renamed Hepworth Plc.
Certificate size is
high x 20 cm wide (13" x 8.5"). It will be mounted in a mahogany frame,
with gold inlay, size 31 cm high x 39 cm wide.
The certificate is
shown unframed as all items are mounted to