Home > Shop > Mining Sector

1917 Utah Copper Company

 

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Stock Code UCC1917

  Certificate number 4559, dated 30th November 1917, for 100 shares of capital stock in this copper mining company.

Issued to the trustees of Charles J Paine, with the actual handwritten signatures of N J Russell, Vice-President, and A L Herklotz, Assistant Secretary of the company. Vignette of underground mining scene at top of the certificate. Ornate green border.

Certificate size is 18 cm high x 27 cm wide.

A perfect personalised gift for someone who:

  • works or worked in the mining industry or
  • has the surname Paine, Russell or Herklotz

About This Company

Framed Certificate Price : 70.00

Certificate Only Price : 25.00

 

 

To order this certificate use the shopping cart below, for payment with Paypal or credit card, or use our mail order service for payment by cheque / cash.
Order Now - Free Worldwide Shipping!
Options
 
 

 

About This Company

In 1903 Daniel Jackling and Enos Wall established the Utah Copper Company. The company immediately constructed a 300-tons-per-day (TPD) gravity pilot mill at Copperton. By 1905 Jackling had persuaded Guggenheim Exploration to underwrite a $3,000,000 bond and purchase $500,000 of Utah Copper stock. This helped to set the stage for the first open-pit mining in Bingham Canyon. In 1906 steam-shovel operations began, with steam locomotive trains removing material from the canyon. Also that year, Kennecott Mines Company, named (although with altered spelling) for explorer and naturalist Robert Kennicott, was organized in Alaska by Stephen Birch, and the American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) started the Garfield Smelter to process Bingham ores.

Construction of the Bingham and Garfield Railroad commenced in 1907 to transport ores from Bingham to the Magna and Arthur mills at the northern base of the Oquirrh Mountains. Utah Copper's Magna mill, a 6,000-tpd operation, started in 1907, while Boston Consolidated's 3,000-tpd Arthur mill opened in 1909. In 1910 Boston Consolidated merged into Utah Copper Company.

Beginning at the turn of the century, a large influx of immigrants from southern and eastern Europe and from Japan arrived in Utah to provide needed labor for the mining industry. In 1912 the Western Federation of Miners sought union recognition and, supported by a large contingent of immigrant laborers, struck Utah Copper Company. The strike did not win union recognition but did oust Leonidas Skliris, the dominant Greek labor agent, from power.

In 1915 Kennecott Copper Corporation acquired twenty-five percent interest in Utah Copper Company. Also in 1915, ASARCO and Utah Copper jointly constructed the first acid treatment plant to control sulfur dioxide emissions at the Garfield smelter. During the years 1918 to 1922, froth flotation gradually replaced gravity separation at the Magna and Arthur mills. Electric-shovel operations began at Bingham in 1923, and by 1928 mining operations became increasingly electrical with the introduction of electric locomotive trains.

As the worldwide Great Depression hit in 1929, Utah Copper constructed a precipitate plant at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. In 1936 Kennecott acquired all the property and assets of the Utah Copper Company.

Source: www.onlineutah.com

 

Home  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Search This Site