Commercial Cable Company
thumbnail to enlarge
Stock Code VM-CCC1897
Interim certificate for
$10,000 bond, number 320. This is a 4% gold bond, issued to La
Caisse d'Economie de Notre-Dame de Quebec, secured by
mortgage on the companies properties and issued to shareholders
in exchange for their shares. Actual handwritten signatures of
the Vice President and Albert Bock, Secretary.
Certificate size is 20.5 cm high x 30.5 cm wide (8"
A perfect personalised
gift for someone who:
- works or worked in the
communications industry or
- has the surname Bock
Framed Certificate Price : £660.00
Certificate Only Price : £610.00
Order Now - Free Worldwide Shipping!
The Commercial Cable Company was formed
in 1883 by John Mackay, a mining magnate, and
Bennett, owner of the New York Herald, to compete with the Western Union
Atlantic service. Six Atlantic cables were laid for the company, the first
in 1884 and the last in 1923.
The first two Atlantic cables were
manufactured and laid by Siemens Brothers using CS Faraday (1). Cable
routes and lengths were as follows:- Dover Bay, Nova Scotia to New York 826
nm. Dover Bay - Waterville, Ireland 2399 nm and a second cable over the same
route 2281 nm. From Waterville one cable, 330 nm long, ran to Weston super
Mare, England, and the other, 514 nm in length, ran from Waterville to Le
Havre, France. Once these cables were in operation they took a great deal of
business away from Anglo American and Western Union.
It was not until 1894 that a third
Atlantic cable of 2161 nm was laid; again Siemens Brothers manufactured the
cable and used CS Faraday (1) to lay it, the route being the same as
that used for the 1884 cables.
In 1900 Siemens Brothers, using CS
Faraday (1), laid the first part of a fourth Atlantic cable for the
company, this time however the route was
Nova Scotia - Horta, Azores. A total of 1698 nm of cable was used in
this expedition. The second leg of the cable from Horta to Waterville was
laid in 1901 and once again the same manufacturer and cable ship was used.
The length of the cable was 1204 nm. An additional cable was laid between
Nova Scotia and New York by CS Silvertown, owned by the India Rubber,
Gutta Percha and Telegraph Works Company, who also manufactured the cable.
The Waterville - Weston super Mare cable was manufactured and laid by the
Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company using CS Anglia.
The Telegraph Construction and
Maintenance Company undertook the manufacture of the fifth cable in 1905
using CS Anglia to lay the Waterville - Weston super Mare cable and the main
cable across the Atlantic with CS Colonia and CS Cambria assisted by CS
Mackay Bennett laying the Nova Scotia - New York cable.
The sixth and final cable was split
between the two manufacturers, Siemens Brothers manufactured and laid the
New York - Canso, Nova Scotia cable using CS Faraday (2). The Telegraph
Construction and Maintenance Company undertook the manufacture and laying of
the rest. This cable went via Horta on to Waterville and then to Le Havre.
CS Colonia laid the main cable and a chartered vessel T. W. Stuart was used
to lay the shore ends at Horta, Waterville and Le Havre.
When the Anglo American telegraph
concession in Newfoundland ran out in 1906 CS Mackay Bennett diverted the
two 1884 cables into St. Johns and a cable was laid direct from St. Johns to
New York along with an extra link between Waterville and Weston super Mare.
Around the same time operational changes
were made and from then on all telegraph circuits were leased by ITT World
Communications Inc., although the Commercial Cable Company name was still in
use on stationery and offices. The remaining cable ship CS John W Mackay,
was transferred to the Commercial Cable (Marine) Company Ltd., finally being
scrapped in 1994.
In 1928 the Commercial Cable Company
merged with Mackay Radio & Telegraph and
Cables, to form the American Cable & Radio Corporation, the major
shareholder in this company being the International Telephone and Telegraph
At the end of 1961 five of the above
cables were still in operation; one of the original 1884 cables was no
longer in use. The company applied to the Federal Communication Commission
for permission to abandon all five cables. This was granted, leaving the
company free of the burden of cable maintenance. By this time the American
Cable & Radio Corporation already leased one circuit in both TAT 1 and TAT 2
and so had a greater capacity, as each telephone circuit was capable of
carrying twenty two telegraph circuits.
Around the same time operational
changes were made and from then on all telegraph circuits were leased by ITT
World Communications Inc., although the Commercial Cable Company name was
still in use on stationery and offices. The remaining cable ship, CS John
W Mackay, was transferred to the Commercial Cable (Marine) Company Ltd.,
finally being scrapped in 1994.