The Excelsior Coal Company opened its
first mine in Oskaloosa, Iowa in 1875, when the company was owned by the
Chicago, Milwaukee and St Paul Railroad Company. Output was soon developed
to 1,500 tons per day. When the mine was exhaused in 1890, the company
opened the Carbonado mines in the heart of Quaker country which caused the
departure of the Friends after a few years.
On July 30 1892 the company was merged
with the Cahaba Coal Mining Company with Truman Aldrich as President.